Friday, July 15, 2011

Chapter 2

     Now the head nurse in the Intensive Care Unit or ICU was an older woman that was more of the motherly type.  I could tell that she enjoyed her job or, at the very least, she was well suited for nursing.  As I lay there immobile, I was scared because I had no idea what was wrong with me and angry because I wanted to know why did this happen to me?  I can't move my legs that means that I can't go to the bathroom, I can't brush my teeth at the sink, I can't walk, I can't run, and I can't cook.  Whew!  This is so depressing especially considering the fact that sports have been a big part of my life since elementary school.  And if that wasn't enough stress, if I survived all of this, then I would have to find a new job and start all over again.  What's to come of my life?
     "Hi, my name is Paula and I will be your primary nurse during the day time," she said.  She walked over to my bedside. "Please lift your right arm so I can check your blood pressure and record the rest of your vital signs," she explained.  I lifted my arm and she wrapped a velcro strap around my right bicep.  "Now you can lay your arm down and please stay still," nurse Paula said.  "Open wide and lift your tongue," she directed.  Next she inserted a thermometer, made of hard plastic, under my tongue.  "I am gonna take your temperature and, while I do that, hold a finger straight out," the nurse said.  Paula attached a clip like device on my fingertip.  "This is to check your pulse and heart rate," she told.  "Okay," I uttered.  She pressed a button and after a series of beeps and high pitched tones, it was all over.  I would go through this about six times a day for the next...however long that I am here.  Nurse Paula unstrapped, unhooked, and unfastened everything so I could finally try to settle in and get some sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment