Sunday, July 31, 2011

Chapter 4

As long as I can remember, I have been told about how bad hospital food was.  So I did expect the worst.  By the time that I was admitted to the hospital, it was several hours since I had anything to eat.  So as soon as I got settled in, I was hoping to get some food.  My night time nurse was a youthful and pleasant looking woman.  From her appearance, I got the impression that she was pretty new and probably married.  Not that I was looking to hook up in my condition, it was just an observation.  The nurse walked in with a bright smile on her face.  "Hello Ricky, good evening sweetie! My name is Lisa and I am gonna be your nurse tonight," she said.  "Hello, how are you doing tonight?" I asked.  "Just fine, thanks for asking. Are you in any pain?" she replied.  "No pain but I am kinda hungry.  Is there any way I can get something to eat?" I responded.  She hesitated for a moment as if she was thinking of a delicate way to tell me no.  "Dinner has already been served; however, there are still some sandwiches available for after hours.  Let me check and I will bring you what we have down there," Lisa explained.  "Okay that will be fine.  I just hadn't eaten anything since lunch," I said.  "No problem hun.  Do you want some water or juice?" the nurse asked.  "I would like both and some ice please," I added.  "You got it just let me take your vitals and I will be right back with your food," she disclosed.  I nodded yes and she proceeded to take my blood pressure, heart rate, and temperature.  "Looks good! I will be back shortly," she chimed.  She recorded it all down on a piece of paper and then left the room.  I was pretty spoiled with the one-on-one attention in the ICU.  It didn't take her too long to return with a ham and cheese hoagie, apple sauce cup, water, a bucket of ice, and several little juice cups.  She placed it all on the table next to my bed and rolled it into place.  The table was positioned so that it hovered over my bed.  All I had to do is sit up and chow down.  I don't know if I was just hungry or if it really tasted that good but I inhaled it in a matter of minutes.  The jury is still out on whether or not the food will be decent. After all it was only a sandwich.  I'll have to see what breakfast is like in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment