Friday, July 29, 2011

Chapter 3

After hearing these words, I lay there as if I was paralyzed.  "The doctor is coming by today to talk to you about your test results," nurse Paula stated.  I felt ambivalent about the news.  On one hand, I did want to know exactly what was wrong with me and if I could fully recover.  On the other hand, I feared the possibility of hearing that I had something incurable or terminal.  I mean, after all, it was serious enough to stop me from walking.  I put my faith in God and prayed for a speedy recovery.  Other than the ominous news that I received, the day was like all of the days before it.  They pumped me with fluids around the clock because I was dehydrated when I was admitted.  But guess what, I had to pee around the clock too.  I was not in full control of my bodily functions so this wasn't cool! It used to be that any time I had to pee, I had to push the call button to get my nurse.  Today, I got more good news!  I found out the hospitals answer to peeing your pants; a catheter.  "You're gonna put what where?" I asked.  It seemed as though the pain would be unbearable.  Inserting a catheter is when they stick a flexible plastic tube in my pee hole to catch all of my urine and it empties out into a plastic container.  It's good because now I wouldn't be worried about having an accident but the thought of it made me cringe.  "I'll be back later today to insert your catheter sir," the nurse said.  "Oh I can't wait," I joked.  Paula left and I drifted off to sleep.  Minutes later, there was a knock at the door.  "Hello Mr. Kendall," the doctor said.  I slowly opened my eyes and saw the door being pushed open.  The doctor came in wearing a surgical type mask.  "Good morning," I spoke.  He added, "Hello sir, my name is doctor Stevens and I have some good news and some bad news.  But first, are you in any pain?"  I lay with a blank expression on my face.  "Sorry did I wake you up Ricky?" he asked.  "Yeah, I just passed out but don't worry, everybody wakes me up," I explained.  "I bet you are wondering why I am wearing a mask huh? Well, after receiving all of the initial test results and looking at your chest x-ray, I have come to the conclusion that you have most likely contracted tuberculosis," doctor Stevens said.  "I have got TB?" I asked in disbelief.  Doctor Stevens continued, "That is what I strongly believe.  To be 100% sure, we are gonna have to take some samples of your phlegm and this will also help me determine exactly which medication will be the most effective.  I will start you on all three pills immediately until we get the lab results back.  Everyone that comes into your room now has to protect themselves from the harmful bacteria in your lungs by wearing a mask and plastic jacket.  Please don't be offended."

No comments:

Post a Comment