Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Chapter 8

Rub a dub dub, Ricky's in a tub...
"Mr. Kendall?" asked the transport guy.  "Yes I am," I answered.  "I am here to take you to get an MRI," He said.  He proceeded to help me out of my bed.  I grabbed his arm for support and slowly made my way over to the stretcher he brought.  "Here, whenever you go out, you have to put this on." he insisted.  He handed me a mask that covered up my mouth and nose.  "This is so you are protected from any harmful bacteria and to protect other people from TB bacteria," he explained.  "Okay," I responded.  Since my lungs couldn't fully expand, it was a little hard to breath with the mask on.  In my room I didn't have to wear one but everybody else did.  Now I see how they felt.  He rolled me down to the elevator and we were on our way.  It was weird being outside of my room.  I was trapped in there 24/7 and it didn't help that I couldn't walk.  When we entered the room, I saw two technicians and what looked to me like a tomb.  "Hello Mr. Kendall, we are gonna do an MRI of your body today.  I am gonna need you to lay flat and still until the test is completed.  You will hear beeps and other loud noises throughout the test.  Are you ready?" the technician asked.  "Yes but I have a question," I said.  "Shoot," she said.  "Exactly how long is the test?" I asked.  "The test is normally about 30 minutes but your doctor wants an extensive checkout so it will be about an hour or so," she said.  What?  She must be joking.  "Um an hour like 60 minutes?" I asked.  "Yes sir and you must remain completely still because if you don't, we will have to start all over," the technician explained.  I laid down on the platform and was rolled into the MRI machine.  It was a tunnel with barely enough room for me and the platform to fit.  The top of it was about six inches from my face so it was very close quarters.  I wasn't claustrophobic but this would test just about anybody.  I could hear beeps and voices and whistles; random noises.  My mind was playing tricks on me.  It was kinda stuffy in there so I prayed to God that I didn't start to sweat cause I couldn't move to wipe my face.  If I did, then I would have to start the hour all over again.  I began repeating my favorite Bible verse to calm myself.  "For God so loved the world that He gave His only son and whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have everlasting life," I recited. 

2 comments:

  1. Rickey MRI's are very frightening tests. Like you I am not afraid of being in "small" places but those machines will really get to your every last nerve. I think a lot has to do with the beeps, the thought of being told "don't move"... Distracting yourself like you did always helps.

    Enjoying your story ... well not that you were sick but well you know what I mean :)

    Looking forward to the next chapters :)
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aaaah what a horrible font. Look forward to a next chapter, in a more eye-friendly font :-)

    ReplyDelete